Sunday, April 13, 2008

Leslie's Digital Storytelling Workshop

What an enjoyable evening! Two reasons: Leslie's presence; also, hearing from peers on topics not usually discussed in a seminar setting.

Leslie's insight into storytelling is remarkable; I spent 24 years editing stories for film and television, and I cannot say I ever met anyone like her. Her ability to categorize the content, extract its theme, and provide feedback on the execution---from one reading to the next---amazed me. Her talents rival those of my old friend, Chris Vogler, whose expertise contributed to the simple but elegant design of "The Lion King" some 12 years ago. If you never viewed the animated film, do so; the storytelling is masterful, not to mention enjoyable. (Yes, it is for adults, too.)

Life as teacher... A father's advice, the loss of a friend, the loss of a parent, leaving home, the tragedy of illness, flight from persecution---just a few of the topics I heard during the workshop.
I see everyone in the classroom in a different light, in a personal way. The evening was a rare occasion in an academic setting; moreover, the result is profoundly different from the typical, if not mandatory,"introduce yourself" session.

No comments: