Sunday, April 27, 2008
Digital Storytelling
Well, it took a couple of attempts, but my digital story is now part of the blog. I thoroughly enjoyed creating it, even though the process required me to learn iMovie---something I did not want to do at this time. The tutorials on Lynda.com were a great help; iMovie has a lot of features not mentioned in its Help menu and lots more features---like the use of the "Option" key---which make the software very versatile.
I have seen everyone's stories, and I am really impressed. This project reminds me of UCLA Film School (decades ago) when a Super-8mm short film was a graduation requirement. The digital stories done by my classmates in ITEC 800 rival those I saw at UCLA---for a group of non-film majors, they created some impressive work.
I add that last thought because it speaks to a major shift in our history and society: multimedia tools are accessible and usable by everyone; just as the Web and HTML made it possible for anyone to publish their writing, these media tools have made it possible for anyone to create a film (okay, video) and "release" it. What had been the exclusive domain of book publishers, film studios, and, starting in the 1950s, television broadcasters, is now a flat playing field---or at least a "flatter" playing field. Just as a decade ago anyone could be a publisher, today anyone can be a film studio or TV station.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment