Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Learning for the 21st Century





CLICK THE C-MAP---IT BECOMES BIGGER

This is the first article on the subject of 21st Century education I've read which attempts to be comprehensive; it certainly covers a lot of ground, as I discovered when I tried to conceptually map its core elements (results on left).

My favorite part of the article is this quote, which is part of the 21st Century Assessment:

"Measure what we value
or it won't be taught."

I'm a believer in the reverse design process detailed in, "Understanding by Design," so I don't view the quote in the same light as "teaching to the test."




What I took from the article(s) sums up topically as a trifold plan for creating a 21st Century educational experience:

  1. Incorporate 21st Century ICT tools into the educational process; teach both the use of the tools to receive content and use of tools to create content
  2. Increase the breadth of core subjects to reflect the 21st Century world, which is equal parts local, national and global
  3. Foster cognitive skills development in students, so they can think creatively, think critically, become proficient at problem-solving, and develop a life-long learning model for themselves.

3 comments:

ITEC Gord said...

How did you upload your mindmap to Blogger? I tried several times and finally had to upload it to my wiki and post the link on my wiki.

Gordon Dale

ITEC Gord said...

I meant to say 'upload it to my wiki and post the link on my blog'.

Gordon

Amy Lilley said...

I like the layout of your mindmap. I orginally tried to use cmap, but had trouble using the connector phrases, which you have utlized well. Thanks for this great example. I love looking at the variety between all the mindmaps.