We've been asked by Kim to summarize the key points of the assigned reading and critique those points. I find 2 key points within the chapter we read:
- A variety of communication tools have become available; many of those tools are in use by potential learners who are accustomed to creating content with those tools---their experience with technology is as active participants in a process enabled by those tools. The authors do an excellent job of surveying those emergent tools.
- Instruction, however you define it, can benefit from using the same tools to engender knowledge within learners; especially so as today's learner is more likely to respond to an active learning environment than a passive one. The authors rightfully stress the need to rethink the instructional process---to redesign the process to allow for active learning using tools which allow for creativity as well as knowledge building.
11 comments:
You pinpointed the goals of education clearly--"Creativity" as well as "Knowledge building". Whenever I watch one of those CommonCraft video, I think about the importance of creativity in communication. Learners need to understand the content, express in ways to communicate that they really do know the content.
You have such great insight that has helped me better understand the reading. Thank you! Also, I love your visual aids!
-- Melissa
I also liked the emphasis on students as being "active participants" with web 2.0 tech. I think we'll see a continuing trend towards student-centered learning. I liked Kim's story about gaining acceptance when kids new she used a certain new tool on the net. I've seen similar things with music where a classical teacher suddenly became cool and accepted when the played Primus on double-bass. When we can relate to someone as a peer we give their stories credibility which is lacking when someone is coming from a position of "telling" us what to think, instead of sharing what they think with us.
Walter --
I agree with you that the idea of active learning leading to knowledge creation is key. I think when you can connect and engage several learners in the appropriate environment, you have the ingredients for some very creative knowledge creation that would not happen in other ways.
"Instruction, however you define it, can benefit from using the same tools to engender knowledge within learners."
A good point. To teach effectively, we need to use the technologies that students already use in their everyday lives. In that way, the technology moves aside (just as in a traditional classroom no one gives much thought to the blackboard and chalk being used) and learners and teachers both can focus on learning.
Gordon Dale
I agree with what you mean about redesign the process to allow for active learning using tools which allow for creativity. I like to learn and sometimes it's how its taught motivates me to learn and think about it.
Great summary...I do want to make sure that we do not assume that all young students have the same knowledge of technology, and I think another responsibility of the instructor is to make sure to incorporating some learning about the tool itself, so that some students are not left behind.
Great summary. I just wanted to add that as we create content we also contribute to someone else's learning and our thoughts become part of the instructional content, just like your post helps someone else understand the concept. So Web 2.0 is also about harnessing the power of the masses.
That was me, Yana-Hermione :)
It's incredible the depth of knowledge students already possess when it comes to technology. It's wonderful to see what students produce once the learn the basics of the tools.
What's interesting to me is the level of confidence students have in terms of using technology. If students feel comfortable, they experiment, take risks and create fantastic media.
Yes, I agree that technology can help learners improve their critical thinking besides getting to experience learning with a lot of people at the same time. As we are teaching students how to use new technologies, we should also focus on critical matters such as the ability to think creatively and reasonably.
Post a Comment